Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pre Race Jitters

Yep. It's the night before a race. I feel like I haven't raced in a very long time. Like I don't even know what I am doing.

I'm nervous... it didn't really hit me until I started trying to figure out what I was going to wear. My favorite singlet that looks great at 106# doesn't look so hot at 112#. Whoopsie. I'll keep that in mind for Boston. I have tried on at least twelve combinations in front of a mirror (mistake), settling on a simple Brooks composite that won't draw any attention.

I don't look fast. Not sure why, but I don't. Good that this thing is practically run in the dark. I don't even feel fast.

I need to close my eyes and remind myself I've been running very well. I don't have to look fast to be fast.

But, I am afraid I will be intimidated tomorrow anyway.

*Sigh*

Mostly, no matter what happens, I'm planning on this being the kick start into intense training for Boston, to begin Monday. I look forward to that. I've been a slouch so far. The stress in my personal life is overwhelming, and I will seek the solace in the fitness I will be gaining in the next several weeks. I hope I don't make a fool of myself tomorrow. But, dressed all in black, I can safely slink out if my performance is something in the realm of embarrassing.

2 comments:

  1. We are our own worst critics! Your race conditions tomorrow will be better than anything you've had to train in, either outdoors or on the treadmill. I'll be cheering you on from the comfort of home. Go Alex!

    Regardless of tomorrow's outcome, you are in great position for a strong training season for Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rick. Just hoping at this point I don't have to rename my blog, "She Runs Slow...." --Alex

    ReplyDelete